OFFICIAL STATE COOKIE
House Bill 5919
Sponsor: Rep. Edward Gaffney
Committee: Agriculture and Resource Management
Complete to 6-7-04
A SUMMARY OF HOUSE BILL 5919 AS INTRODUCED 5-18-04
According to the sponsor’s office, the following is the recipe from Defer Elementary School.
Recipe (makes about three dozen cookies)
– 1 ¾ cups of all purpose flour
– 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
– ½ teaspoon baking powder
– ½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal brand kosher salt
– 1 cup softened butter or margarine
– 1 cup Pioneer brand granulated sugar
– ½ cup packed Pioneer brand brown sugar
– 1 egg
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
– 1 ½ cups Graceland Fruit brand dried cherries
– Additional granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
2. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; set aside. Beat butter, 1 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl at medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy (about two minutes). Beat in egg and vanilla until well blended. On low speed of mixer, gradually beat in 1/3 of flour mixture at a time, until all is used. Scrape sides of bowl between additions of flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chunks and cherries. Refrigerate covered dough for at least one hour.
3. Roll chilled dough into golf-ball-sized balls. Roll the balls in the additional granulated sugar. Space three inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Gently press with bottom of glass to flatten. Return remaining dough to the refrigerator until ready to use.
4. Bake 13 to 15 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool cookies about five minutes on cookie sheets; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely.